Did you know that as a society, we’ve been using essential oils therapeutically for over 2000 years? They were referenced over 300 times in the Bible and traces were found in King Tut’s Tomb along with the gold and jewels.
With the rise in modern medicine we shifted from plant based cures to pharmaceutical drugs and while modern medicine will always hold a place in our world, essential oils are incredibly supportive to us in times of sickness and in health.
- They’re proven effective with more and more scientifically backed studies becoming available
- Their safe for all ages and with correct dilution, they can be used on everyone from infants to the elderly
- They work fast taking just 22 seconds to reach the brain, 2 minutes to reach the blood stream and 20 minutes to affect every cell in the body
- They’re affordable with only 1-2 drops required per application
When we first started using doTERRA’s essential oils, I didn’t fully appreciate how affordable they are. With 80 drops per 5ml bottle and 250 drops per 15ml bottle you pay cents in the dollar for an incredibly healing, nature based remedy that is potent, pure and 100% organic.
So how can you use these incredible, healing, plant based elixirs to fight colds and flu naturally during winter and throughout the year?
Create an ‘immunity kit’ so you have a handful of oils on hand not only when the flu hits but that you can use throughout the year for immunity support.
When you diffuse your oils, the aromatic molecules are released into the air and inhaled. They then interact with the body’s olfactory nerves and limbic system. The limbic system is connected to parts of the brain which controls blood pressure, heart rate, breathing, memory, stress levels and emotions. That’s why when you take a big whiff of a pure essential oil you feel uplifted or relaxed within seconds.
When we apply oils topically, we always want to dilute them first. For adults the standard dilution ratio is 5 drops essential oil to 10mls carrier oil such as fractionated coconut. For children we half that.
Got it? Okay, here are your ‘must save’ recipes.
Recipes to fight colds and flu naturally with Essential Oils
Stuffy or runny nose, congestion, cough, sore throat, sneezing
- Massage melaleuca (tea tree) to the back of your neck
- Add a few drops of oregano and tea tree to the floor of the shower, let it get nice and steamy and then inhale
- Or make this immune boosting ‘flu bomb’ when you feel a cold coming on
Itching, swelling, sensitive skin
- Apply 3 drops of lavender, 6 drops romam chamomile, 2 drops myrrh and 1 drop of peppermint to irritated area
Congested or runny nose, dry cough, fever, sore throat, headache
- Blend 5 drops of oregano and 5 drops of thyme essential oil and apply to bottoms of feet and along the spine.
Tightness in the chest, coughing, shortness of breath, wheezing
- Diffuse Easy Air throughout the day and in the bedroom at night
- Apply 1-2 drops of easy air to cupped hands, rub together and inhale
- Apply 1-2 drops of easy air to a hanky or tissue and inhale
Pain and/or difficulty breathing
- Drop 1-2 drops of Digestzen and ginger in a bowl of hot water and inhale the vapour
- Dilute 1-2 drops of Digestzen and ginger in fractionated coconut oil and rub on the neck, back, chest and feet
- Add 1 -2 drops of each to a capsule and swallow
- Apply a blend of lavender and ylang ylang topically to the back of the neck and temples to calm and relax
- Apply lemon and sandalwood to chest to energise
- Add 1 drop of lemon to a glass of water, stir and swallow
- Diffuse a mix of peppermint and wild orange
- For tension, dilute a mix of 3 drops lavender and 3 drops peppermint in 1 tsp of carrier oil like fractionated coconut and apply to temples and back of neck
- For migraine relief create a blend with 2 drops peppermint, 2 drops eucalyptus and 2 drops frankincense and apply to neck, temples and forehead
- Cup hands and inhale a mix of either of the above
High fever, dry cough, sore throat, muscle aches, headache, fatigue, congestion
- Diffuse Easy Air in the bedroom at night and throughout the home during the day
- Dilute 1-2 drops of melaleuca, peppermint and rosemary in 1 Tbs of fractionated coconut and massage into back, chest and soles of feet.
- Add 1-2 drops of ginger and peppermint to a capsule and swallow to soothe nausea
- Gargle On Guard morning and night
- Add 1 drop of On Guard to a glass of water each morning, stir and swallow
- Apply 1-2 drops of On Guard to hands and inhale
- Diffuse On Guard to prevent pathogens spreading
If you’re looking to learn more about essential oils, the ‘Modern Essentials’ app is a valuable resource that I recommend. It offers current, scientific guidance on the therapeutic use of essential oils with suggested treatments for over 200 health conditions. It became our Bible as we were learning how to use our oils and is available to download on IOS and Android.