Often when we look to transition to a healthier way of life we focus on the foods we eat. We ditch the overly processed options with ingredients we can’t pronounce and replace them with more leafy greens and veg. We know that what we put into our mouth affects how we feel mentally, emotionally and physically, but what about the chemicals we’re spraying around the home?
Improving our diet and moving our bodies more is step one in the right direction and that’s as far as we went for a really long time until we learned how easy it was to go to step two.
Step two for us was looking at the chemicals we were using to clean our home. In this post I shared the 4 basic ingredients you need for a clean home without chemicals and below you’ll find 3 of the recipes we use.
3 easy chemical free cleaning recipes
Multipurpose Spray/Glass Cleaner
- 500mL amber glass spray bottle (we get ours from ebay)
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 15 drops Essential Oil (Eucalyptus , Lemon, Wild Orange , doTERRA’s On Guard)
- Shake before use
- This doubles as a glass cleaner so use on any hard surfaces such as benches, tiles and glass.
- 1 cup bicarb soda
- 1 tablespoon ground sea salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 10 drops Essential Oil (Wild Orange, Lemon, Eucalyptus work well)
- Add all ingredients to squirty bottle and shake
- If paste hasn’t formed, add a dash of water
- 2 cups water (or 1 cup for high concentrate if mould is really bad)
- 14 drops Clove Essential Oil
- 14 drops Tea Tree Essential Oil
- Bicarb soda
- Combine water and oils.
- Shake well before use
- Spray on surface and leave for as long as you can – 30+ minutes or overnight if possible
- Sprinkle bicarb soda over area with a dash of water and scrub with a brush
- Rinse off with warm water
To ensure you’re getting the full anti-bacterial, anti-microbial and anti-fungal benefits from your cleaning products. the quality of the Essential Oils you use is important. Not all oils are created equally and many of the varieties you buy in store are watered down with cheap ingredients so be sure to always read the label and invest in 100% pure essential oils with zero fillers.